Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Accident by William Geets Un-Directed Blog - Week5

The Accident by William Geets:
I visited the Cantor Arts Center in Stanford as part of the Art History course work. I have not been to any art museums before and this visit was an interesting experience for me. We read about famous artists whose works are familiar in all parts of the world. But I realized that there are many others who do not get as much recognition, but never the less, are very talented. There is this painting called The Accident by William Geets which was really very good. I came home and tried to search it on the web to learn more about the artist and his works, but could not find any information.

When ever I look at an old painting it is amazing how I feel that I am transported to that time in history. I enjoy observing the clothes of the people at that period, the furniture they used to use, the houses they used to live in and many such things that these paintings depict. I feel this is an important aspect of art – telling the history to the future generations. This is exactly why I liked the painting The Accident.

The painting shows the response of a crowd to an accident. The crowd in this painting reflects the complete society as it has all kinds of people in it, young- old, male- female, rich and poor. We get to learn a lot about the people of that time, their dressing, their status in the society, their way of expression and much more. The most appealing aspect in the painting is how every one is showing similar expression but in their own different way. I feel it is an amazing piece of art and I encourage everyone to see it.

I am sure there are many unsung artists like William Geets whose art is lost in the history, but I really appreciate the collectors and art enthusiasts for preserving what ever is left.

1 comment:

Leonardo Annes said...

Yesterday (May 16 2009) I visited the museum of Stanford, I saw the painting in detail and put photos on my blog, visit and see the pictures:http://interativa-news.blogspot.com/2009/05/mais-pinturas-e-cultura.html